Help and FAQs
Please remember the following 3 key points:
- As with all video websites, you need a good broadband or data connection to view the videos.
- You need to be logged in, and stay logged in, for the system to work (except to watch 'Free' videos).
- We recommend that your computer or device has up-to-date browser and operating systems.
If you cannot find a solution or answer in this section, then please Contact Us Here.
- We will aim to respond to enquiries within 2 working days.
- Please note that the support desk is open weekdays, from 9.30am - 5.30pm.
We very much hope you find this support section helpful.
2. The video won't load/appear
It may be that your organisation is preventing videos from being played on the internal computers - particularly on older browsers and operating systems. Please check with your IT support to see if this is the case, and whether the block can be lifted.
3. The video keeps stopping and starting, and the loading symbol keeps appearing
This is most likely to be a problem with your broadband speed, or internet or data connection.
The Platform is optimised to work with most home, workplace and mobile connection speeds.
However, there are times when your broadband connection may slow down: if this is the case, it may allow text and images to appear, but 'high bandwidth' videos will break up or 'stop and start'.
Sometimes this is due to a poor broadband connection (and it may be worth contacting your provider or IT department to see if you can get a stronger or upgraded connection); or it may be due to high levels of internet usage in your home, your area, or your office.
If it's the latter, please be patient or log back on at a less busy time.
4. The sound won't work
You could try refreshing your web page. Please note that your computer has sound controls accessible from the control panel and that the video player has sound controls which appear in the player window.
5. Can I make the slides larger and the speaker smaller?
Yes, you can make the slides larger and the speaker smaller by clicking on the Minimise Video or Maximise Video tab (located under the video panel).
6. Can I watch on my mobile phone?
This site has been optimised to work on mobile devices. However, if the mobile has weak data or internet connection, it may take longer to load and stream.
On some mobiles, the slides will be played over the audio from the lecture, so you can see the slides and hear what the lecturer is saying. You will not be able to see the video of the speaker, only the slides and audio from the talk will play through the mobile device.
7. Why does the layout of the page not look right?
Very occasionally, your browser won't immediately recognise an update or amendment to the website - the cached ('stored') pages on your browser may still be storing the old layout, and this can cause problems. The browser should update itself automatically next time you open it.
But in the meantime, you may need to press the refresh icon on the browser address bar to see the new layout.
8. What do I do if it says I am "behind a firewall"?
It may be blocking the video content and you may need to access the site from a different location. To check whether it is a firewall issue try accessing another video website.
9. How does the new Video Player work?
In 2019, the site was upgraded to a new integrated video player.
It has the following features:
- Large thumbnail, with play icon.
- Tracking of viewing (completion bar and percentage figure) incorporated into the player.
- Ability to view the lecture either side of the player, make the lecture video small or large, or select an audio-only version.
- Options for users to switch video streaming speeds, from low to HD.
- Option to open a new feature - the Slide Explorer, which allows a user to see all slides, while the video continues to play top left.
- Higher quality slides.
- Options to 'lose carousel', or go Full Screen.
- A visual Help panel.
10. I've read the FAQs, but I am still experiencing problems
Sometimes computers and/or the internet can develop a temporary fault - which is often sorted out by restarting the computer, refreshing the website page (by clicking on your browser's Refresh icon), accessing the website on another computer or device, or just trying again at another time.
11. Contact us
If you continue to experience a problem with the Platform, then please Contact Us Here. We will aim to come back to you via email within 2 working days.